Wednesday, August 29, 2007

8 years...

It has been 8 years today since my amazing father passed away. For those who might not know, my Dad (Roger) was killed in a tragic accident when I was 16. He and I had been so close. We spent countless hours watching baseball, fishing, and going on our long drives through the country. He was a truly remarkable man, and not just in my eyes. He could always make people laugh and he never ceased to have a smile. He also was always ready to help anyone and everyone who might need it. He had a servant’s heart. I can’t think of a time when my dad ever told anyone he was too busy or too tired to help. He was forever ready to lend his time, money, or anything else he could give.
It was unbelievably tough for me to lose him. I struggled for a very long time with questions, doubts, anger, and frustration. It was a few years later, and after a lot of prayer that I was finally able to move past the hurt and into the acceptance. It was God’s will to take my dad that day. I will never know why, and you know – that’s ok. It’s not for me to know. My dad was a truly incredible person and he deserves every minute he’s getting in Heaven. He deserves being in a place without pain, and I’m glad that he’s rejoicing with his Savior. I’m sure that he greets everyone he passes with a great big “Howdy” as he always did. I have a lot of people ask how I’m able to talk about my dad so often without it being uncomfortable, and the truth is that it is talking about him and remembering him that makes it so easy to get by. I love to think about all of the goofy things he did, and remember all of the times we spent laughing. I love to hear other’s memories of my dad and how he impacted their lives. I choose to remember the good and focus on it. Don’t get me wrong; I have my moments. There are times I hurt so badly, times I wish he was here to see my girls grow up, times I wish I could ask for his advice. But I keep focus on what I know… and what I know is that I was blessed beyond belief to have had him in my life for the 16 years that I did. I got to call one of the purest, sweetest, and best of men my “Daddy,” and I’m all the better for it. I will ask of everyone I know who knew him not to grieve on this day. Please rejoice and remember Roger’s life. Remember how awesome he was and know that while we miss him terribly here, God needed him there; and His plan is better than any of our’s could ever be.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh K, I love you more than you'll ever know!!! I miss him so much, also. Thanks you for your precious words!
mom

The Steffens said...

Kayla....you are right about so many people loving your Dad! He was always good at yelling Two Bits at the games, too! He was an amazing guy, and I am sure that your kids will love all of the storeis about him!